Sunday, May 8, 2011

When Metal and I met - Part I

Hello everyone,
I've come here to write about something very near and dear to me. It has been a while, I was going through a bit of a dry spell and I got caught up in all kinds of work. Anyway, here's a little something for y'all to read during your leisure.

Well, I believe that most of you readers would know what to expect from this, after having read the title. And by metal, I do not mean copper or aluminium. I guess I'll start with a brief introduction about metal (for the genuine metalheads, you can skip the following paragraph and proceed).

I am a metalhead, and I am damn proud to say it! Who or what is a metalhead? A metalhead, what I believe, is a person who responds to Metal instinctively and positively. For those of you who think metal is merely a genre of music, you're only partially correct. In my opinion, metal is a Culture. I'm not going to look up the definition of metal in wikipedia or whatever, I'm going to try and put it in my own words. Metal, to me, is freedom. Metal is liberation. Metal is complete expression of emotion. Metal is inspiration. Metal is passion. Metal is a way of life. Metal is a way of style. Metal defines identity. Metal unites us. I can go on and on and believe me, I've not even started running off my mouth. So what exactly is metal?? Well, it is a genre of music primarily. (Now I will look up wikipedia and quote some of those lines in here, just for clarity). ---- " Metal is a genre of rock music that developed in the late 1960s and early 1970s, largely in the United Kingdom and the United States. With roots in blues, rock and psychedelic rock, (which are genres as well) the bands that created metal developed a thick, massive sound, characterized by highly amplified distortion, extended guitar solos, emphatic beats, and overall loudness. Heavy metal lyrics and performance styles are generally associated with masculinity and machismo." ---- I would agree with most of that, except for a few things. It doesn't necessarily have to be too loud and does not necessarily promote masculinity. In fact, I damn well think that women should also try listening to metal and give it a genuine shot (It's good for you, believe me). The female metal crowd's growing in size, which is fantastic to see, and as it gets bigger......we'll wait and see. The rest is history.


Alright, I think I've given you a fair insight into metal. Henceforth, I will refer to metal as a genre and a culture. Little intelligence is needed to interpret it when I'm using ''genre'', or when I'm using ''culture''. And every now and then, I might even personify Metal.


I'm sure you've been waiting for us to get down to the point of this post. So, When did Metal and I meet?
Honestly, I don't remember. Haha. If I had known that metal would shape my life in such a massive and important way, trust me, I would've saved that entire day on videotape. But it was a long time ago. Probably in school...9th grade I guess. 


There are several interesting stories on "When Metal and I met" that I will share in my upcoming posts, including ones of meeting new people, discussing bands, music, artwork, warpaint, addictions, and lots more.
I'm going to cut this one a little short and end it here. 


But stay tuned! I'm only getting started on pouring out some of my "metal" stories of my life.


Stay metal metalheads! (And the rest, take care)


Quote: Corey Taylor of Slipknot, sending a message to Fred Durst of Limp Bizkit
"You might have a lot of money and be famous, but the next time you talk shit about Slipknot and it's fans ...we will kill you."

1 comment:

  1. Good one! Looking forward to the new posts.
    Metal is religion!
    Peace.

    ReplyDelete